Wednesday, October 29, 2008

One of my favourite things in my life.


It seems so bizaar when I think back on my experiences, relationships and attachments to various sewing machines over the years. I'll always remember Mum's old Singer machine on its stand and with a long narrow drawer that was the most magical place to me. I found buttons, thread, measuring tapes, scissors, my lost tiny baby doll, and I have a vague memory of finding some Tiffin chocolate. What a treat! Mum was a whiz with her sewing machine but every time I looked at it I broke it, so it was time to get my own. I was doing painting job for someone who paid me with 40 pounds and her old Novum machine. I'd had one before that, before I was 10, from my aunty Bridie. It was a manual one with the most beautiful bobbin that seemed to move with the sewing action. My Novum did me for over 10 years but died in the middle of making a dress for my friend's wedding in 1997. I then bought a Brother machine and this was such a thrill compared to the Novum, but when I started sewing more professionally I passed the machine on to Claire and she gave it to Martina. So it has been used lots over the years. My Pfaff semi industrial machine is a Godsend and my next one will be an Industrial or a Bernina. All I need now is time sew unassisted. Watch this space!

No comments: